Campus Life
Activities         Accommodation         Visa         Insurance         Orientation
Home >> Campus Life >> Visa
Activities     Accommodation     Visa     Insurance     Orientation
Home >> Campus Life >> Visa

Before coming to China

International students will receive the university’s admission notice and  Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (also known as the JW201/JW202 form) form once admitted. The applicant can apply for X1 or X2 visa at Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in your home country.

When applying for visa, please remember to take along with you your valid passport, the original copy of the university’s admission noticeandJW201/JW202. Do make sure that your admission notice and your JW201/JW202 form is handed back to you together with your passport after obtaining your Chinese visa. You will need these documents to apply for your Residence Permit after your arrival at the university.

International Students who will study in China must possess ordinary passports with study visa (Category X). The students who enter into China with other kinds of visas cannot study in Central South University or get Residence Permit.

Note: The Student Visa (X1 Visa) will only be valid for 30 days after your arrival. You must apply for a Residence Permit within these 30 days in order to obtain a legal living status in China at Changsha Exit and Entry Administration Bureau.

After coming to China

International students with study visa (Category X) shall apply for Residence Permit within 30 days upon your arrival in China. Applicants who missed the deadline have to shoulder the responsibilities for the delay and pay the overdue fine. The following documents are required for the application of the Residence Permit:

1.Passport (Original) and passport copy(Basic Personal Information Page, Entry Visa Page and Entry Date Page)

2. Residence Permit Application Form

3. Registration Form of Temporary Residence

4. JW201/202 Form (Visa Application Form for Study in China)

5. Admission notice (copy)

6. Physical Examination Report issued by HUNAN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL HEALTHCARE CENTER (#199 Renmin East Rd 2nd section, Jingkai District, Changsha city)

7. Official letter issued by School of International Education, CSU

8. Fee: 400RMB/year


The addresses of offices issuing Residence Permitare:

1. Changsha Exit & Entry Administration Bureau (Southwest of the intersection of Xiangzhang Road and Guitang Road, Yuhua District, Changsha city)


2. Yuelu Branch of Public Security Bureau of Changsha (No. 180 Aimin Road, Yuelu District, Changsha city)


Office time:

Monday to Friday, Morning: 9:00 to 12:00 ()

Afternoon: 14: 00 to18: 00

Extension of Visa and Residence Permit

International students should pay attention to the validity of their Residence Permits and entry visas and make proper arrangement for extensions if necessary. The overdue fines caused by expiration of validity of residence permits or entry visas should be borne by the international student. The international students expecting to continue their study at Central South University after the expiration of their Residence Permits should apply for extension 2 weeks before the expiration date to School of International Education of Central South University.

If the visa or Residence Permit expires during the school holiday, students shall apply one week before the holiday begins.

Replacement of Lost Passport

When international students find that their passports are lost, they should go through the following procedures:

1. Immediately report the case to the police station where it was lost and obtain the report certificate.

2. Contact the School of International Education as soon as possible to issue a lost passport statement.

3. With the above two documents, go to Changsha Exit & Entry Administration Bureau to apply for a passport loss certificate.

4. Apply for a new passport at the embassy in China with a passport loss certificate.

5. Within 10 days of obtaining the new passport, go to the International Student Office t for the Temporary Accommodation Registration Form and re-apply for new Residence Permit with your new passport and passport loss certificate.