Silk Road Scholarship Program
I. Application Time
From now to May 30, 2023
II. Supporting Categories, Majors, and Program Languages
Supporting student category: Master's students, doctoral students
Majors and program language: Computer Science and Engineering, Control Science and Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Mining Industrial Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering (Chinese and English taught programs)
Students from the Belt and Road countries (Reference: https://www.yidaiyilu.gov.cn/xwzx/roll/77298.htm)
III. Scholarship Coverage
Full scholarship includes tuition fee, on-campus accommodation, medical insurance fee, and monthly living allowances (CNY 3000 for master's student and CNY 3500 for doctoral student).
IV. Application requirements
1. Excellent Non-Chinese graduates with good academic performance, good health, and no criminal record.
2. Less than 35 years old for Master's degree study; Less than 40 years old for Doctoral degree study.
3. Not have been funded by any organizations or institutions (must have a statement).
4. Language Eligibility: Chinese-taught program applicants should provide an HSK level 4 test score of 260 or above.
English-taught program applicants should obtain a minimum score of 6 in IELTS or 85 in TOEFL.
Those who meet one of the following conditions can apply for a language test result waiver:
a. Applicants whose first language or the official language of the country is Chinese or English.
b. Applicants who have taken a degree program taught in Chinese or English.
5. Applicants must have a strong academic background, scientific and innovative ability.
V. Application procedure
1. Apply online on CSU application system. (This is a MUST step, applicants who don't complete this step won't be considered)
Register and log in to the CSU international student online system https://csu.17gz.org/member/login.do, select Chinese Government Scholarship and submit the application.
2. Apply online on CSC system. The CSC Online Application is available at http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login). Select program category in Type B. Agency number of Central South University: 10533. Fill in the information, submit it online and print the application form.
Submit the application online materials to Central South University. (CSC do not accept application materials)
Please submit the application materials to both systems, the required application materials are:
a. Copy of Passport Home Page. If the validity of the applicant’s current passport does not meet the requirement (meaning the passport expires before September 2023), please apply for a new passport before submitting the application;
b. Certificate of the Highest Academic Degree (Notarized photocopy in Chinese or English). If the applicant is a final year student of the current degree period, please provide the pre-graduate certificate.
c. Academic transcripts. These transcripts shall be issued and sealed by the attending university's academic affairs office, graduate school, or student management department. They can be in Chinese or English, but must be attached with notarized English translations if they are in foreign languages other than English;
d. Language qualification certificates. Applicants for Chinese-taught programs must submit valid HSK reports in accordance with the corresponding Chinese proficiency requirements. Applicants for English-taught programs shall provide valid IELTS or TOEFL reports.
e. A study plan proposal. A study plan written in Chinese or English shall contain more than 1,000 characters or words; Please specify the previous research background, research achievements, prospective research field, research plan, etc. The proposal of a doctoral student shall be signed by the applicant’s Chinese supervisor;
f. Personal statement video (Please explain your education and research background, and show your research potential and ability. The video length should be around 1 minute. The video size should be no larger than 40MB and the video format should be MP4);
h. Recommendation letters. Two letters of recommendation (written only in Chinese or English) from professors or associate professors shall be submitted. These letters shall describe the applicant’s objectives for learning in China, comprehensive abilities, and evaluation of future growth. The issue date should be after October 1, 2022;
i. Acceptance Letter; （Mandatory, see format at Acceptance Letter.docx）
j. Published papers information; (optional)
k. Foreigner Physical Examination Form and copies of blood test reports. The applicant must do all examines listed on Physical Examination Record.pdf. The form will be regarded as invalid if a photo is missing, examines not completed, no stamp, no signature from the doctor or hospital. The form must be filled in Chinese or English. The examination date must be after October 1, 2022. Please bring the original copy to the university if the student has been admitted.
l. Non-criminal record report. The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record issued by the local public security authority after October 1, 2022.
m. Other supporting materials (Rewards, certificates, etc.).
n. A personal statement that the applicant has not been funded by any other organizations or institutions（see format at Personal Statement.docx）.
Reminder: Uploaded supporting documents must be clear, authentic and valid. Applicants are recommended to use a professional device to scan the relevant documents. Applicants shall bear the consequences caused by unclear or unidentifiable uploaded materials.
The students who pass the primary review will be notified and go through step 3.
3. Submit Fee
When the applicants pass the primary review, please pay the application and review fee of CNY 500 on the unified payment platform of CSU according to the email (WeChat, Alipay, and UnionPay are available);
Please complete the application and review fee payment within ONE week, otherwise, the application cannot continue. If you fail to pass the primary review, NO NEED to pay the fee.
4. Academic Review
Relevant schools will conduct an academic review for applicants to comprehensively examine their academic background, scientific research ability, or innovation potential.
5. Final Review
According to the materials and the application situation, the students will be reviewed for final admission results, please pay attention to the CSC online application system and CSU online application system.
6. Material Submission and Result Release
University will recommend student lists to CSC. The final admission will be decided by CSC.
University will send the Admission Notice which shows the final scholarship type. Please check your scholarship type based on the Admission Notice!
Due to the limited application time, please pay attention to the application system and emails continuously. All information will be updated on CSU online application system. If there is a message, please reply in time.
VI. Enrollment and Notification
1. Admission letter and visa application form will normally be sent before July 31, 2023. The exact delivery time is pending due to the reviewing procedure.
2. Due to the adjustment of the CSC admission policy this year, students recommended by the university to CSC may not be finally admitted as Chinese government scholarship students. Please refer to the Admission Notice for the final admission scholarship.
3. CSC students should not have other scholarships from the local Chinese government and universities at the same time. Once found, the students' CSC qualification will be canceled and the students should return all scholarships obtained. Those who deliberately conceal their financial assistance, in addition to disqualification, will not be allowed to apply for Chinese government scholarships within three years.
4. Registration time is the beginning of September annually and the exact time is specified on the Admission Notice. Students must register within the time period listed on the Admission Notice. Those who fail to register within the prescribed time will be canceled the admission.
5. Scholarship owners cannot change the university, major, or study duration.
6. Regardless of whether admitted or not, the fee and material are non-refundable.
7. Please don't apply to CSC and CSU scholarship programs at the same time.
VII. Annual Review
All scholarship students shall have the scholarship annual review based on academic and daily performance during the previous year, and students will continue to enjoy the scholarship after passing the review. Otherwise, the scholarship will be suspended or canceled.
Address: School of International Education, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan Province, P.R. China