2023 Application Guide for International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship in Central South University
To meet the growing international demand for Chinese language teachers, facilitate Chinese language education around the world, and support the professional development of Chinese language teachers, the Center for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC) has established the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship. Outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) are warmly welcomed to study Chinese language in Central South University.
1. Scholarship Types and Qualifications
1.1 Chinese Language Teachers Programs
1.1.1 One-Academic-Year Study (Chinese Language Study)
The program commences in September 2023, and provides scholarship for a maximum of 11 months. Applicants who had been offered the same scholarship are not eligible.
Applicants are required to get a minimum score of 210 in HSK 3, and priority is given to those who have an HSKK test score.
1.1.2 One-Semester Study (Chinese Language Study)
The program commences either in September 2023 or March 2024, and provides scholarship of a maximum of 5 months. International students holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
Applicants are required to get a minimum score of 180 in HSK 3, and an HSKK test score is also required.
1.2 Online Scholarship Programs (available for Chinese language learners who cannot come to China)
1.2.1 One-Academic-Year Study (Chinese Language Study)
Courses start in September and March annually. Applicants are required to get a minimum score of 180 in HSK 3, and priority is given to those who have an HSKK test score.
1.2.2 One-Semester Study (Chinese Language Study)
Courses start in September and March annually. An HSK is required but not in levels or scores.
1.2.3 Online-Themed Training Group
Who can apply: Chinese language learners, Chinese language teachers (Chinese as a second language), etc.
Time of courses: can be discussed
Scale: a minimum of 15 people
Duration: a minimum of 4 weeks
Curriculum: Chinese Language Teaching, Analysis of Chinese Teaching Materials, New Techniques in Chinese Teaching, etc. Any recommendation institutes can apply to CSU and CSU will forward this application to CLEC, waiting for the final evaluation.
2. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Non-online scholarship programs provide full coverage on tuition fees, on-campus accommodation, living allowance (a monthly stipend of 2500 RMB for one-academic-year study students per person and one-semester study students per person) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses (400 RMB for one-semester study students per person, 800 RMB annually for one-academic-year study students per person).
Online Scholarship Program ONLY provides tuition fees.
All applicants shall be :
1) non-Chinese citizens;
2) in good physical and mental conditions, and with good academic performance and conduct;
3) committed to Chinese language education and related work;
4) between the ages of 16 and 35 (as of September 1st, 2023). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45.
4. Application Deadlines (Beijing Time)
For programs commencing in September 2023, the student's application must complete before May 15th; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete the review before May 25th;
For programs commencing in March 2024, the student's application must complete before November 15th; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete the review before November 25th;
CLEC will entrust an expert panel to review the applications. The results will be released three months before school starts.
5. Application Procedures
Online Registration on International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Application Website. Online registration is available from March 1st, 2023 on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship application website (cis.chinese.cn). (CSU will help finish online registration for those who applied for Online Themed Training Program) Please log on to search for recommending institutions and host institutions (Central South University); upload application materials online.
Online Registration on CSU Application Website. Log on to CSU China International Student Service System and register online: https://intl.csu.edu.cn/index.htm. Choose Central South University Scholarship for International Chinese Language Teachers (Confucius Institute Scholarship) and upload the following application materials online and submit them.
1) A scanned copy of the passport photo page (over one-year availability);
2) A scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within two-year validity);
3) A reference letter by the head of the recommending institutions;
4) Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified ID certificates, employment certificates and letter of commitment signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China;
5) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Check. Applicants should strictly be examined in accordance with the requirement of Physical Examination Record.pdf. An incomplete form is regarded as invalid. The examination date shall be after October 1, 2022;
6) Photocopy of Highest graduation certificate (or notarized translation in either Chinese or English). If the applicant is currently a student, the pre-graduation certificate issued by the school is required;
7) Transcript of the highest diploma (or notarized translation in either Chinese or English);
8) Non-criminal record with an official stamp. The issue date shall be after October 1, 2022;
9) Applicants who are on the job of teaching Chinese language are exempt from providing HSK certificates if providing a certificate of incumbency and one recommendation letter from the working place.
Upload the Certificate of Scholarship for International Chinese Language Teachers on CSU Application Website. Track the application progress, comments and result on International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Application Website. Scholarship holders need to confirm with CSU to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out the scholarship certificate on International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Application Website, upload the scholarship certificate on CSU Application Website, and register at CSU on the designated date as per the letter of admission.
Pay the Review Fee. After passing the CSU online preliminary review, please complete the review fee payment within two weeks, otherwise the application cannot continue. If you fail to pass the initial review, NO NEED to pay this fee.
Complete the Application and Wait for Result. The admission letter and JW 202 form will generally be sent by end of July. Please keep yourself informed by checking the Application Status on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship application website (cis.chinese.cn).
1) Applicants shall register on time according to the Admission Letter;
2) Those who fail to register on time, fail to pass the health assessment, drop out midway and/or are suspended from school will be deprived of their scholarship;
3) Interviews (through skype, phone calls or WeChat etc.) and other support materials might be required on certain occasions;
4) The evaluation fee will not be refunded regardless of the admission result. The final result will be subject to that released on cis.chinese.cn.
7. Chinese Bridge Award Recipient Policies
Applicants who received the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate during Chinese Bridge competitions may submit their application documents and scholarship certificates to the Host Institutions (CSU) directly at the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website.
For any further inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Website of School of International Education, CSU: https://intl.csu.edu.cn/index.htm
Address: Library 214, Main Campus of Central South University, no. 932 Lushan South Road, Yuelu District, Changsha, Hunan Province.
Post Code: 410083
For more information related to this scholarship please check: http://cis.chinese.cn
Email of Division of Test and Scholarship in CLEC: email@example.com